9/20/18

Photo Tips - Always Look Behind You

A photo tip I learned from a Jay Maisel workshop years ago is to not overly focus on what's in front of you, but also take time to look at what's behind you as well.

In the case of these two images, I was originally drawn to shooting the dark entry-way to this WW2 era harbor defense battery in Washington State.  I've shot the structure many times and often challenge myself to find new perspectives. On this day, after shooting the entryway, I walked inside the dark room using my iPhone flashlight, then turned around to look back out and shot a frame of the 'looking out' view which was equally interesting. 

For the future, I could light the interior with a flash, flashlight or try for a super long exposure to see what details could appear (thus blowing out the doorway in either direction). 

Looking in

Looking out

No comments:

Post a Comment