9/17/18

Interior Reflection Photos on the Fly - Take Advantage of any Location


Whenever I go to the doctor's office or have a downtown meeting in a skyscraper or other large building with great views, I keep my eyes open for potential photos (and camera in-hand).  Certainly more fun than looking out outdated magazines while you wait.  

I also keep in mind for photos the interior itself that I'm sitting in. For stock images, I'll look for non-cluttered medical devices on the wall or an uncluttered check-up bed/table thingy. For those, I'll remove logos prior to posting to my stock agencies.  Usually the agencies will determine if there needs to be an additional property release from the hospital or product.  

In the case of these two images, both are shot from my cardiologist's office in the PolyClinic in downtown Seattle while waiting for the doc. Luckily this waiting room is a corner window with a West and SW view over Seattle. Over the course of two years, I saw a large building go up and several contrasting weather days, from cloudy and rainy to bright sun.  

A challenge for shooting from any public (ish) space are window reflections from behind me. So I either press the camera (phone) lens up to the window to eliminate room reflections, or look for sections of the window with no interior reflection.  Recently I did see a device that can go around your lens to reduce distracting window reflections. But sometimes, interior lights or other reflections can add to the photo especially if I'm going for a fine arty perspective.  

In the bottom image, that's of the hospital lobby. I shot the clock on the wall for over a year in different light combinations and varying reflections.  This year, the clock disappeared. Then I shot the wall without the clock one day which led to a guy following me out of the building. He asked what I was doing. I showed him the photo and said it's for 'art'.  He left.  Not sure if he was on their legal team or?  I do give them a lot of business.  

Everything here shot in an iPhone 6s, processed in Lightroom. See more versions on my Instagram page @robcaseyphoto


SW View

SW View

SW View

View directly west

Lobby view


No comments:

Post a Comment